Become a 500-Club member and make great art happen.
For $500 jump in behind an exciting Atrium exhibition. Each year people just like you support a significant project. Previous 500-Club members have funded projects by Sara Hughes (2017) and Jeanette Schäring (2018) and Tauranga-born Jess Johnson’s exhibition Terminusin July 2019. Whether you are new to the arts or a long-time enthusiast, join a group of like-minded individuals and families with a passion for creating exceptional art experiences.
In 2021, 500-Club member contributions will support Tauranga-based artist Darcell Apelu’s forthcoming exhibition A Death of Prosperity. A feature project in the visual arts programme of this year’s Tauranga Arts Festival, Apelu is developing a monumental sculpture specially produced for the Gallery’s eight-metre-high atrium. Based on Apelu’s prior realisation of the work at Te Tuhi, Auckland, her new enlarged sculpture is a functioning fountain and incorporates terraced sections designed to channel the water down the work in trickling cascades.
For this year's project we are pleased to offer 500-Club the following benefits:
• An exclusive artist talk/studio visit with Darcell Apelu
• A guided City Art Walk tour with app creator Sonya Korohina, Supercut Projects
• First dibs on a special soon-to-be-launched artist’s edition. Designed by Apelu in the same gold acrylic used in the monumental sculpture, all proceeds from sales will support the commission. Details to be released soon!
• Each member will have their name listed on our website and in conjunction with any exhibition, programme or event that the 500-Club support
• One annual 500-Club member’s tour of the current exhibitions with the Director
• A complimentary 1-year membership as a Friend of Tauranga Art Gallery, or a renewal of your current Friends membership
• Invites to exhibition openings, VIP floor talks with curators and or artists